Los Angeles Drug Crime Defense Attorney
The State of California prosecutes four types of drug-related offenses:
Depending on the circumstances, drug crimes may be tried as either a misdemeanor or a felony in California. The Law Offices of Adrian M. Baca focuses on defending clients in southern California against felony drug charges, including felony drug possession, possession with intent to sell, purchase for the purpose of sale, manufacturing and transportation. We also represent clients in federal drug cases, including manufacturing and drug trafficking charges.
If you are facing serious drug charges, you need the help of a knowledgeable Los Angeles drug crime defense attorney. It is not uncommon for the police to make mistakes while investigating drug-related cases. With over 30 years of experience defending clients against serious drug charges, we can anticipate the mistakes the authorities are likely to make, and we can turn those mistakes to your benefit.
Illegal Drugs in California
We regularly defend clients against charges related to the following types of drugs:
- Marijuana: Although possession and cultivation of certain amounts of marijuana is legal for medical and personal recreational use in the State of California, possession of marijuana for sale may still be prosecuted as a felony in some cases (e.g., if you are a repeat marijuana offender or have a record of violent crimes or sex crimes, or if you intended to sell illegally to minors). Cultivating, importing and transporting marijuana across state lines are also federal drug offenses.
- Heroin: Possession (for sale and for personal use), transportation and sale of heroin are all felony activities in the State of California. Manufacturing, importing and transporting heroin across state lines are also federal drug offenses.
- Cocaine, Methamphetamines, and Other Illegal Non-Prescription Drugs: Personal possession of most illegal, non-prescription drugs is a misdemeanor in the State of California unless you have a felony record. Possession with intent to sell, manufacturing, transportation and sale of these drugs are all felony activities in the State of California. Manufacturing, importing and transporting these drugs across state lines are also federal drug offenses.
- Prescription Drugs: Possession of prescription drugs without a prescription is a misdemeanor in the State of California unless you have a felony record. Possession with intent to sell, transportation and sale of these drugs are all felony activities in the State of California. Importing or transporting these drugs across state lines are federal offenses.
Penalties for drug offenses may involve jail time and/or payment of fines and court fees. Drug counseling, education or treatment may also be part of your sentence or plea agreement.
The severity of the penalty typically depends on your prior criminal history, the type of activity you’re charged with, where the activity took place (e.g., near a school or drug treatment facility, or on federal property) and the amount and type of drug involved.
Defenses to Drug Charges
There are many opportunities for the authorities to make mistakes during a drug investigation. For example:
- Did the police have a valid search warrant?
- Did they have probable cause to conduct a search?
- Was evidence handled properly?
- Can they establish you knowingly possessed the drugs?
- Were the drugs possessed for personal use rather than sales?
If any mistakes were made or if your rights were violated during an arrest, you may be able to challenge the charges, and the evidence against you could be inadmissible in court. An experienced Los Angeles drug crime defense attorney will thoroughly review all aspects of the investigation that led to your charges and will look for every opportunity to protect your interests.
This office has won drug sales trials. We have also been successful in suppressing evidence of narcotics that were illegally seized, in violation of your constitutional rights.
If you or a loved one have been arrested or charged with a drug offense in the Los Angeles area, contact The Law Offices of Adrian M. Baca today. We will respond to all inquiries on the same day and will review your case for free.